Paving, Surfacing, or Tamping Equipment Operator
Responsible for operating equipment on job sites to pour concrete, asphalt, or other materials. Forms tampers by operating tamping machines and stone spreaders.
- Read and interpret blueprints at job sites.
- Control and guide machine to pour concrete or asphalt.
- Fill tanks or hoppers with paving materials.
- Spread stone, concrete, or asphalt on roadbeds.
- Smooth out stone or concrete using special attachments.
- Ensure all machines are well-oiled, serviced, and inspected.
- Coordinate materials at job site.
- Shovel and remove blacktop.
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Operate other machines such as loaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- Push dump trucks to maintain flow of asphalt into hoppers.
- Drive or attach machines onto tractor trailers.
- Install dies or cutters to screeds.
- Insert cork, asphalt, or steel into joints.
- Place rolls of expansion-joint materials on machines.
- Break up pavement with machines using hammers.
- Light burners on machines and regulate screed temperatures.